PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 340 - lookin' for advice...
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 15:45
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can tell you that I have attempted Vmc demos in my 340A last year at a safe altitude, 10,000 AGL, just to see how it would behave.
How the airplane behaves at 10,000' and at sea level, particularly on takeoff, will be two very different things, particularly as effective Vmc (the actual speed, rather than the certification number) decreases with altitude.

In retrospect, the negative comments you received were doubtless due to a few pilots expressing their dismay, me included in that group, of you suggesting a very high risk maneuver. You are responsible for your decisions, and you certainly seem to be well trained in all pertinent aspects of this flight envelope. To attempt a takeoff below Vmc is contrary to the POH and countless other rules, regs and best practices. You asked for advice on an unsafe, foolish maneuver and received chided demonstrative responses you did not appreciate. Go figure. The entire aviation industry and culture is invested in safety, training and sound piloting. The 340A is not a short field aircraft, to attempt to use it as such is placing it a flight envelope it was not designed for and is not a sound decision.
Well said, and that said, sometimes one simply cannot give a drowning man a glass of water.