PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 340 - lookin' for advice...
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 11:55
Lifeisgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
340A

I can tell you that I have attempted Vmc demos in my 340A last year at a safe altitude, 10,000 AGL, just to see how it would behave. I trained in the venerable Beach Duchess, and as benign as she looks, she can be a handful if you push the power in too quickly in the Vmc recovery maneuver. I once had a Duchess with wings almost vertical in less time than you can say “OH ****”. I quickly learned you ease the power in, don’t cram it. Anyway back to the 340A in a Vmc demo.

I could not get the 340A to roll.

There was adequate rudder and aileron control right down to a stall buffet at about 78 kts! I was configured at GTOW less 800 lbs, which should have raised Vmc, I was also at 10,000 Ft AGL, which I do not think affected the Vmc Demo because the turbochargers compensated for DA with the engines and the airspeed indicator and wings simply compensated for the DA via indicated airspeed. At this point I conceded that the Vmc was below stall and did not wish to become a test pilot doing spin recoveries in my favorite twin. It would be interesting to know if a Simulator can be configured at a lower weight than MGTOW and if the flight characteristics will be modified to that minute detail, I doubt it.

I can also tell you the improvements in performance in a 340A when lightly loaded are spectacular. In my 340A with just myself and half fuel it’s a rocket on takeoff. I usually see in excess of 2,200 fpm on takeoff.

So the short answer to; can it be done; yea, probably.

Should you do it; only by yourself.

But the better question is; why would you want to?

In retrospect, the negative comments you received were doubtless due to a few pilots expressing their dismay, me included in that group, of you suggesting a very high risk maneuver. You are responsible for your decisions, and you certainly seem to be well trained in all pertinent aspects of this flight envelope. To attempt a takeoff below Vmc is contrary to the POH and countless other rules, regs and best practices. You asked for advice on an unsafe, foolish maneuver and received chided demonstrative responses you did not appreciate. Go figure. The entire aviation industry and culture is invested in safety, training and sound piloting. The 340A is not a short field aircraft, to attempt to use it as such is placing it a flight envelope it was not designed for and is not a sound decision.

That having been said, Best Whishes.