PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus vs Boeing
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008, 14:07
GE90115BL2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lem: sorry but you didn't READ MY POST.

So I'll describe it to you again:
Quite a few new guys and girls have caused an unintentional go-around while doing a managed speed approach. They went OUT of the detent to give it a burst ( forward of the detent )and then they put the levers back INTO the Detent straight after. Below 100' THAT GIVES YOU TOGA. then it's too late................."going around"
( I think it's 100' the logic changes, not too sure of the exact ht )

It HAS happened quite a few times, only happens to you once though!! you learn from it.

So Airbus' electronic wonder jets have a really nifty ECAM fitted that has lots of checklists in it for you to follow, BUT you get the paper one out first because the ECAM may be wrong !! Brilliant system you have mate.

On the 777 we always follow the EICAS and do the electronic checklist. Granted there are times with multiple messages you have to filter a bit, but so what.

You can keep you plastique fantastique ( French accent used here!! )

The QRH items you refer to are exactly 6 and every pilot I know is aware of them. The only important ones are about using the QRH for an Avionics Smoke and... for NAV: ADR (IR) FAULT : "in case of a total loss of an ADIRU (ADR + IR) first use the NAV : ADR 1(2)(3) FAULT then the NAV : IR 1(2)(3) FAULT checklist". I'm sure even a Boeing pilot can cope with that.
You shouldn't have to "cope with that" buddy. If Airbus were half interested in product support and SAFETY they'd provide a software update to FIX the problem.

Another example is the RMI ( or RDMI you call it? ) On the CX A330's we couldn't use the thing for 5 years until Airbus finally fixed the bugs.

here is a copy of a current Notam:-

AIRBUS: VOR APPROACHES WITH A FINAL APPROACH TRACK BETWEEN
THE RADIALS 006 AND 016 MUST NOT BE USED ON A340-300 AIRCRAFT
WHICH DO NOT HAVE MODIFIED VOR RECEIVERS.

What is that about? It's been in the Notams for over 3 years

Nope sorry, Airbus are cheap cheap and cheap.

Last edited by GE90115BL2; 13th May 2008 at 14:29.