PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AVGAS-where is the cheapest????
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2008, 21:37
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGLL £1.230? My arse.

Saw the published figure on Pprune - so I popped over to fill up.

I've never met such a rude and un-cooperative radio operator in my life. He'd clearly never heard of an overhead join, and my request for the location of the signal square (he wouldn't tell me the circuit direction) was met with a fit of coughing...and then a thud.

Decided to land long on the grass runway at the end of the (very long) southern taxi way, since I could see some tyre tracks there - looks like a heavy twin gouged some turf up recently - but the markings for the grass runways are frankly rubbish.

Was impressed by the numerous static exhibits of contemporary airliner technology at the new aviation museum they've built at the western end of the airfield - apparently they try and fly some of the exhibits at weekends, helped by a bunch of willing amateur volunteers, but I reckon they need a few professionals in there to run the place to make a going concern of it.

Anyway, finally found the Avgas bowser - had to taxi round for ages - odd to have the "follow me" truck do the following instead of being in the lead, and it had blue lights as opposed to the usual orange. Turns out they only do Avgas for PPR 30 years in advance, and the £1.23 rate is only applicable if you uplift 3000 litres or more. Bloody typical. Anyway, I put Ken's name & address on the form the re-fueller (funny looking hi-viz jacket - it was black, made of kevlar, with lots of pockets) made me sign (and since when do fuel handlers need guns? - Health & Safety gone mad) since it was his thread on the Proon I was using as a reference for fuel availability.

Another fine mess he's got me into.