PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2008, 14:15
Mari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear ML,

everything is relative. Let me answer to your question!

Let's say you're a German girl/boy:
You are currently working for Lufthansa - one of the biggest airline in the world -, based in Munchen and you do only North-American flights as you're a long-haul flight attendant. You are at home, all your old friends and family is there, live in a nice European city in your home country, the economy is doing OK, inflation around 3%, unemployment rate is 5%. You pay taxes, fees, pension, you have Union there. Therefore: You never fly more than 70 hours a month. You have min. 3 days off before a Los Angeles-flight, 48-hour-lay-over, min. 3 days off after the flight. You have a nice rest during the flight in the CRC, most of your passengers are well-behaved Europeans. The company is big, you have a lot other job opportunities, part-time positions and maternity leave. You have Euro in your country which is - right now - one of the strongest currency.

In this case:
you will be disappointed to live in the desert, surprised about the passenger profile, angry about how the company treats you sometimes and get a heart attack every time when you see how much the dollar dropped compare to the euro.

Let's say you are a desprate, high-educated Hungarian girl:
from a poor family - like me - who workes for Wizzair, a low-cost company, based in Budapest, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. (Malév, the national airline of Hungary just dismissed 10% of the crew, it's not likely to work for them.) The economy is not doing well, inflation is 9% (like last year in Dubai), unemployment rate around 8%, political crisis and strikes from time to time. You fly 80-90 hours a month, all short-hauls (of course) which means 2-4-6 legs a day. You don't see the world, there is not even a chance for that. (You can ONLY make it for Malév if you know someone. And after 1-2 years you might get your first New York-flight. If you're lucky. The "old ones" get the good flights - who work for the company for 15-20 years.) You get around 100-120,000 forint (4-500 euro) monthly payment. (No accomodation, no transport, no food on the flights.)

In this case:
you will be disappointed to live in the desert but sooo happy to lay on the beach and swim in the sea (oh, my God! waves! and sand! and palms!); you will be surprised about the pax profile but delighted to meet so many young people from different countries (oh, my God! lebaneese guys really are charming! Australian men really are big!); angry about how the company treats you - especially after talking to complaining crew - but who cares: I see the world and stay in nice hotels; and you will - indeed - get a heart attack when you look at the dollar BUT you won't get your usual panic attack in March when the gas bill would come after the winter time.

How is the athmosphere?
I just did my recurrent SEP exams - 2 days. (I joined 2 years ago.) My group was so cool! Very funny, nice, young people, I really had a good time! Trainers are excellent - as usual, I never had a bad experience. Crew on the flights are generally young (21-40) and happy. Young people don't care about working too much, they call sick and party, don't care about dollar, they just spend.

(My lovely First Aid Trainer intoduced herself as a professional nurse, who has a degree in Psychology, Sociology and she's a doctor of Philosophy. The purser next to me said: "Man, get another job!" The girl was blond, had a familiar accent. I told the guy next to me: "I think she's from Slovakia or Chech. I don't think it's easy to find a job (you must know someone) and get the experience to become a well-paid psychologist in Eastern-Europe. I'm not even sure if it's possible. Especially for a woman." She was from Poland.)

Is there going to be a big pay-rise this year?
I don't think so. I just read the Flight International Magazine extra edition about the companies in the Middle-East. It says: we offer the best package in the world and upgrade for pilots is quick and easy.

Working conditions?
If there is no major incidents in order to fatique, there won't be any changes. There is no union, there will be no union.

Dear ML, I hope I could answer to your question. Summa summarum: everything is relative. I got 5 days off before my leave, hopefully I will also get 5 days off afterwards (like last time in October). This is my time to rest and recover.

I used to work in an office before (boring, long hours, asshole boss). I also used to do waitressing in big hotels and bars (nights, weekends, 12-16-hour-long-shifts). Is my current job tiring? Yes. Are the working conditions better for me than before? OOOh, much better! Is the athmosphere better? OOOh, much better! Do I make better money?! OOOh, yes, I do!

If you wanna travel and have fun, come and enjoy for one year! If you are fatique, call sick. My Australian friend had at least 30 sick days last year, so what?! Enjoy and go home!

My flatmate is saying right now: "stay away from this company. It's the worst in the word: they are greedy and break the labour-law, make you fly to death! Stay away from aviation at all! You should become a lawyer or doctor. You cannot make any money here!"

You should consider her opinion, she should know: she's been flying for 7 years and wants to resign since I moved in 2 years ago.

Exchange rate protection would be around 300 dhs for you. You would make 7-8000 dhs a month in the first year, plus meal allowances (1-2000 dhs/month, depends on your flights). If you make it to business class (after 12-24 months flying) you will make 9-10,000 dhs/month. You become FG1 (first class) in 2 and a half-3 years and currently they make between 10-11,000 dhs. Here, of course, I'm talking about poeple who actually WORK and fly 80-100 hours a month.

One thing is for sure: there are not many crew here from France and only a few French pilots.

Good luck! Whatever you decide.

Mari

Last edited by Mari; 17th Apr 2008 at 14:36.