PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasons why I want to join Emirates
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 10:17
Sheikh Your Bootie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) Pay - I currently fly the 777 and get paid the equivalent of 21600 DHS take home a month. From that salary, I have to support my family, pay for my cars, house, utilities etc etc etc - so more money at EK.
Habib, you still have to pay to support your family and cars, they give you a 70K 4 year interest free loan, which won't get bugger all these days. I hope you've done your maths.....

2) Inflation - Yes I know the inflation is high in the UAE - where I am it has been at a sustained 20%+ per annum (last month 22%). So, over six years.....well.....you're all smart enough to push the buttons on the calculator!
Well inflation here is nearer 30%, everyone knows the government figures here are false. They like only happy news.. get used to it!

3) Health care - Where I work, I get a meager health cover. My family are covered for 66,000 DHS per year in-patient treatment and 1,700 DHS per year out-patient. This is for the whole family NOT per person . There is no dental coverage. So I pay $4500 a year to provide my family good medical cover.
Medical cover is one of the better things at EK, not always perfect, but not bad, inshallah.

4) Traffic - I know that traffic in Dubai can get heavy. Try this on for size though....I live 18kms from the airport and it takes me up to 3 hours each way. Nothing like doing a 9 hour red-eye and then sitting in traffic for 3 hours! I would love to be driven to and from work...ahh....bliss.
Aaah, so you haven't been on Dubai's roads with one of our chauffeurs, almost as dangerous as doing it yourself after a quick IAH ULR flight... enjoy your bliss...

5) Schedule - I understand that there have been issues about scheduling of late at EK. Well, where I work I have never had more than 11 days off a month. I don't get to bid on anything, two days before the roster ends I get the next one. I would love 15 days off.
When you are away from home habibi, you need more days off to get back home for some sanity. The company have royally cheesed off a large part of their workforce, by this latest interference in the bidding. You won't get 15 days off any more either. 14 spread all over the month now, and thats a maximum. enjoy...

6)Education - I get no allowance for education, if you are like me and want the best for your kids then you want to send them to the best schools. Here that will set you back at least 65,700 DHS per kid per year.
Lots use this, some have to chip in their own money...

7) Security - I can't over-emphasize this one and feel that I don't really have to elaborate. Needless to say, worrying about the safety of your family when you are overseas is no fun. Not to mention spending 2200 DHS a month on security...
This place is pretty safe, but there have been in the short time i have been here, lots of incidents in Emirates villas, theft, attempted rape... just covered up nicely. Be realistic habib.

8) Housing - No housing here and my housing allowance is 1700 DHS a month.
There is a housing crisis here at the moment for more or less all new joiners. Allocated apartments are in sh**y areas of DXB. No villas will be available for at least 6 months (odd exceptions as people leave of course), guys being put up in the Harbour Hotel and Marriott Green community, which isn't bad, but is temporary. Company telling guys to delay bringing their famiies. Monster cock up!

Enjoy habibi!!

SyB