PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesia's Adam Air once again.. "Passenger jet skids off runway"
Old 11th Mar 2008, 11:01
HF3000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work for Adam Air? Heaven forbid.

But no I don't subscribe to the theory that a gear collapse nor an aircraft leaving the runway necessarily calls for an immediate evacuation, nor does the training department of my airline.

Evidence or likelihood of fire/smoke: sure. But otherwise, you will likely cause more injuries evacuating passengers down slides. Particularly if the aircraft is not at normal "on-ground" body angle - some slides may be too steep to be used as designed and some slides too shallow. Furthermore, many passengers (elderly, disabled etc) are likely to sustain injuries on slides and slides should not be used unless a real and immediate greater danger exists (eg smoke/fire). An orderly disembarkation via stairs can always be upgraded to an evacuation if the situation changes.

If, indeed, the Adam Air aircraft called for stairs in this situation and did not evacuate with slides, I think that was the correct decision and possibly saved further injuries.

Having said that, yes Adam Air should be grounded for life and all Indonesian airlines should be banned from entering any other country until their industry is sorted out.