PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guide to obtaining a JAA PPL in the US (part 1)
Old 5th Mar 2008, 23:30
EI-ROC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking into doing an FAA PPL and wondered what the law was in regards to using that in Ireland. Couldn't find much on here about that, so I e-mailed the IAA. Their reply was quite informative so thought I'd quote it here, might be of use to someone else!

An FAA PPL is valid for use in Ireland for PPL privileges only and under Visual Flight Rules (VFR) only. The licence would be valid for use on FAA ‘N’ registered aircraft and all IAA ‘EI’ registered aircraft. However, if you intend to fly EI registered aircraft outside of Irish airspace you would need to check with the Aviation Authority of the country/countries that you intend to fly the EI registered aircraft in that they accept it. To fly on any other countries registered aircraft, you would need to obtain written permission from the Aviation Authority in which the aircraft are registered in.

It would not be possible to do an Instrument Rating course and skill test in Ireland for the issue of an IR rating onto your FAA licence. You would need to complete that in the US or check with the FAA whether they have FAA approved schools outside of the US. If you do obtain an Instrument Rating on your FAA licence you could still not exercise Instrument Rating privileges in Ireland on an FAA licence. You would need to convert to an Irish JAA licence which would require you to join an Irish Registered Training Facility, complete the PPL ground course, pass the 4 PPL theory exams and pass a PPL flight test. You would also need to obtain an Irish Class 2 medical certificate.