PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 09:46
coopervane
Oops pardon me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rudder stress

Have not read all the posts on here but it seems most comments are about cross wind limits, get home itus,Boeing v Airbus and are you a stick and rudder man.

My first thoughts on watching the video are releif after watching it climb away but then turned to thoughts of airframe stresses.

After the AA A300-600 accident where the fin parted company with the aircraft after a boot full of rudder,I do hope Lufthansa will carry out NDT testing of the fin attachment lugs on this A320. The rate of yaw and the speed the aircraft reacted must have put an awful strain on the airframe.

Although the speed in this instance was somewhat less, the violent activity displayed can only have pushed the flight envelope to the limit.

Lastly I would like to say well done to the crew for not losing the plot at the critical moment which could so easily have happened and ended in disaster. The arguments about whether or not an approach should have been made are a seperate issue, but once a committed you have to go with the live situation.

I guess this is a classic demonstation that compared to the power of nature, the difference between a large airliner and a small single is such an insignificant one.

Coop & Bear