PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2008, 02:48
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of the members of parliment have promised to make representaions to the Department of Trade and Industry. Also more than one MP has promised to raise the matter with the ministry of defence. Is that enough clout for you?

er... no!

I don't think you've understood or properly read what I've been saying. Surely, you don't imagine that MP's making representations achieves anything? Likewise, what on earth does raising the matter with the MoD achieve? In the first instance, the MP's will eventually come-back and say that they've raised the matter, but that the DTI say it's an issue for private initiative. The MoD will naturally (and rightly) say it's got absolutely nothing to do with them. Great - that solves er... nothing.

As you say yourself, no department is going to say "here, have a wad of money" - your own words, so why bother raising the issue in the first place? It's just pointless hot air, no matter how well intentioned it may be. I've highlighted what I think is the best (probably only) route through which the project's likely to be saved but if (as seems likely) most people opt to take your route, there's just going to be an endless series of campaigns, letters, emails, and heaven-knows what else, all achieving nothing. I trust you can see what I'm getting-at without getting upset?!

Incidentally, as for the repeated suggestions that I get involved and do something, I've been doing that for years, ever since I completed my first Vulcan book and started work on the second. I've spent more than enough time dealing with TVOC's mood swings and half truths, I've given them offers of help and publicity and they've ignored them. I've had my photographs sold and published without my permission, and I've wasted plenty of time going round in circles, arguing with the HLF. So please don't think I haven't done anything, I'm just able to see that supreme folly of all the activity that is going-on at present which is leading nowhere. I'm also in direct contact with some people who would be delighted to get behind any kind of orchestrated campaign, if there was one (not a dozen different ones) and one that actually had a direct purpose, not just a general, non-specific wish for the aircraft to fly.

Anyway, I'm falling into a trap here and doing what I've been urging others to avoid - arguing about everything but the key issue!