PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeremy Vine show today...wearing uniform in public
Old 21st Feb 2008, 12:56
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
30 + years in and I drive the 14 miles each day covered up........... seeing the recent sentencing of the "crew" about to behead a Muslim soldier for Al Jazeera TV I am so grateful there are so many other numpties out there keeping me off the "easy to film" list
SFFP

I didn't realise that you were a muslim in the military. Sadly this is a typical example of why the general public have forgotten that there is a military. I haven't done 30+ but I have done 25+. When I joined nobody batted an eyelid to seeing someone on the streets, at the bank, in their local supermarket and (heaven forbid) even in the pub in uniform, so I suggest that you are stretching the point slightly.

I didn't cover up at the height of the IRA campaign - no point really, there was only one route between my gaff and the bases I was at and I think even the IRA might have worked out that I was military. As many have said, if it was routine then nobody would bat an eyelid. Personally I would start with MOD - it's time the civil serpants realised that the "suits" aren't all civilians - the sooner the better! The IRA threat for which we all started covering up is a thing of the past, be proud to wear your uniform (but make sure you do it properly) and in public.