PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Land Smash And Grab By Glasgow ??
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2008, 10:57
PH-UKU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FISbang and IM - sorry if i sounded a bit moaney

OK, yes, I do actually agree that coverage along the Forth Valley is much better on 119.875 than from Glasgow 119.1 - as you say IM, line of sight and handhelds are limiting factors I can usually maintain 2-way with 119.875 for 2000' transits up to Perth, but I think there is an 'interference' issue with some radios blanking some GPS units on 119.875.

There was a thread about that a while back - if you get a rhythmic 'clicking' on 119.875 check to see if you have lost the GPS signal in the Thornhill area. I believe it happens on some KX125s and KX155s, and you only need to have 119.875 selected - even on box 2.

Probably to do with interference between transmitter sites ?

Read here for a wee bit of frequency tech talk. Although it doesn't specifically mention GPS problems.

In all honesty I don't generally call now (I'll either listen out or have 127.27 selected to get a higher level relay, just in case) -most of my ops are in the valleys to the north -and it just gets frustrating for both the FIR and me if I drop out of coverage and either have to climb back up (watch those CHTs) just to say I'm descending again and going off frequency, or equally for the FIR having to find out where I've gone.

Keep up the good work Wilfie