PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things I always wanted to know as a PILOT
Old 5th Feb 2008, 02:46
///mav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. SLFs sometimes wont lock an aircraft toilet door yet theyll unfailingley lock it in a public dunny. Why?

I've never done this, so can't comment. I do sometimes wonder why some people don't do this in pubs and at festivals, although those people are more likely to be intoxicated. Either that or they are the same people.

2. Most pax cant be bothered watching the Pre-TO Emergencey brief while the intellegent few do. This usualy determines who most likely will be still alive after the evac and wholl be dead. Is it a macho thing to ignore the brief or somethin?

I do, but I've travelled with people who don't and they are either a) scared of flying and doing whatever they can to take their mind off the situation, which doesn't exactly make sense - if they're scared flying they're probably scared of crashing and I'd have thought the safety briefing would be of use to them, but apparently not the case. b) they've flown the same route, on the same aircraft, so many time it's pretty much a commute to them and feels like getting on a bus, they know where the exits are, pretty much always sit in the same seats and don't fell the need to watch. c) they're idiots.

I will confess to not having read the card on my last couple of flights BUT I was in a bulkhead seat and the card was too far away to reach without getting up, and the seatbelt sign was on, so I was in a dilemma as to whether to stand up and get it with the cabin crew stood right next to me, or to just listen to them and watch the video.

3. Why do SLFs complain about the legroom and pitch of cattle-class seats? Your stuffed in seats like sardines in return for a lower fare and Economy class is named because its exactley that - ECONOMY!

This is why I don't travel economy on long flights..

4. Why do pax insist on flying with carriers who have dangerus safety records? Do cheap airfares override survival instincts? Would you do the same and ride with a dangerus bus or taxi company?

Never done it knowingly. I found out one airline I used didn't have a great safety record, but I didn't know until a few years later and they were the only option for domestic flights in that country. I'd rather be as safe as possible whatever the form of transport, hence I don't get unlicensed cabs either..

5. Why the rush to disembark? You could be standing in the isle for 20mins if the Manifest isnt accurate or the Traffic guy is an inexperienced snot-nosed kid.

Never understood this, cannot stand people doing it. Mainly can't stand the people who have to get up before the 'plane has stopped, even if they have another flight to get to or whatever, what's the point? I've been on flights where people have been standing up, bent over, for 30-45 minutes (at least it felt like that) while we were getting to the terminal. Myabe I'm lazy, but I prefer to be sitting down until the doors are open.

6. Is an aircraft toilet realy more complicated to use than a reguler dunny? The flush button is in the same spot like any other thunderbox, and the tap/sink doesnt require a PhD to figure out.

Not really, no. I mean, the delay in the flush can be a tad confusing but other than that, it's all self explanatory. The lighting can be terrifying though, maybe some people are so scared to see how bad they look in the mirror that they become confused and incompetent?

7. If you slop up your dunny at home you clean it up. So why do you expect the stewardesses to clean YOUR ungodley mess up?

I don't, and I'm guessing these are the same people who think they can make a mess in any 'public' type toilet and someone else should clean up after them.

8. Do some of you think pilots fly through severe turbulence because we WANT to?

No. I sympathise with the people who are scared by it, but never thought it was deliberate.

9. Why do you believe a smooth greazey touchdown on landing is somehow the measure of a pilots total skill?

I don't, it's nice when it happens, it can be a bit un-nerving when it's a bit rocky, but I know it's not everything.

10. If you depart early you arrive early at your destination. Why is there ALWAYS the bloodey annoying 1% who insist on boarding at the last minute after everyone else has been on-board for the last 20?

There's some valid reasons already been mentioned, but those aside: because they are selfish idiots