PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orient Thai
Thread: Orient Thai
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2008, 08:33
betterave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read other posts re: Orient Thai/1-2-Go

Sunchaser,

Yes I worked for OX on the B757 fleet from mid 2004 to end of 2005. Since the company will not pay for training, the pilots must be qualified on the aircraft already. Because there are not many qualified B757 pilots in Asia, the OX B757 fleet were crewed by pilots trained in a western system (Americans, Canucks, Aussies, Kiwis and Brits). Most of us were on furlough from major airlines. Because of that common background, we were united in following FOMs and turning down unsafe aircraft with maintenance deficiencies. In other words, I was pretty confident that the B757 operation was safe.

Initially it was a fun place to work as the company left us alone. After the tsunami and the company began to lose money, the "management" began to cut cost ("temporary" pay cut, and forced unpaid leaves) and want us to do illegal things such as exceed duty limitations. We continue to follow FOMs and refused unsafe aircraft, but the writing was clearly on the wall. The DFO, who looked after the pilots, was forced out and his replacement was eventually let go as well. Those of us with options left for other jobs. I quit when a Thai became the DFO. I'm sure that I would have been the first one to be fired (had I not quit) for I had lots of run-ins (as the B757 scheduler) with the previous DFO regarding duty limitations and dead-heading on the B757 with no rest facility (against what was stated in the FOM of course).

As I suggested earlier, you can search this forum for Orient Thai/1-2-Go to read what others have posted about the working conditions there and the company's unwillingness to spend money. Then you may understand why I will not let my family and my friends fly on the MD-82s and B747s.

I've learned lots when working at OX and formed great friendships. The core group of B757 pilots I worked with are flying together elsewhere. It would be a pleasure for me to work with them again but it's difficult for me to give up 9 years of seniority in a major ALPA carrier.

Again please read posting from others who have worked at OX/1-2-Go to understand my statement.

Cheers,

Betterave