PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin in the 80's
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2008, 07:41
Stationair8

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts
The joy of calling Darwin Flight Service on HF and getting them to ring the company engineer about a problem you had with the aircraft, getting the message relayed back on what to do. Even more fun if your HF didn't have the Darwin frequencies and you had to go through Cairns or Perth.

I found when I went back down south, some of the chief pilots and even some of the CAA guys treated you with contempt. One of the CAA guys told me that he told the chief pilot to keep a close eye on me as most people from the NT had an attitude problem and generally poor flying skills, compared to those who flew in the big smoke down south. I applied to another company and the chief pilot said we don't employ anyone from the NT.

Did anyone ever see a copy of Armunda Airways NDB approach for Jabiru using the radio station.

Remember the old CAR that limited you to flying over an airline route, once every 28 days. Old Ossie would be over getting the strips from flight service to see who was flying over his routes. A few good good clashes on frequency between Arnhems and Ammans boys.