PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin in the 80's
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2008, 07:23
pithblot

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The RAAF were great. Remember doing ´practice GCAs`, then when you got better ´request a practice GCA, talk to touch`. (You could do them at Katherine too.) At those nights in the O´s mess ATC would make themselves known.....one bloke told me if ever ****s was trumps to call him out any time for a real GCA. I thought about doing it once when the ILS was taken out by lightning... but the weather wasn´t that bad.

What about navigating without GPS.....in the dry season smoke and in the wet at night. Getting there was half the fun - and hard work sometimes.

DME descents.

Listening for the Null when tuning the ADF in MMA.

Or at 3 am `Darwin tower, this is DHP, Med 1 for XXX request taxy and airywas clearance, details on departure.`

Sad to hear about Slim. When did he die. Slim was a great bloke - as he would say ´a straight shooter´- a real gentleman, and a very good pilot.

Ah yeah, I remember the Col Khron interludes and that other luminary of the airwaves, Dave Nason, of ´Nason Off` fame.

Keith Boulby, working on a DC3 and reminiscing about the TSR2 !

The Air North hangar Cat. Who was it that fed him...

Airport security. All the gates were open - free access to who ever wanted to wander around and look at aeroplanes. Eventually they put locks on the gates and the keys were handed out and passed through the ranks as guys left and others arrived. My key opened every perimiter gate on the civil side and a bunch of doors in the terminal. I don´t remember who I passed it on too.

....and it was mostly blokes flying back then, not many girls. Mandy Dewar, Sue Michaelis, and, way back Christine Davis an Olympic skiier and an airline Capt who went on to fly helicopters out of Troughton.

PITHBLOT