PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 18 years old, off to university this year and wants to be a airline pilot
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 15:31
Shiver me timbers!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm in a similar position in that I have just finished university and looking to go into flying with a career loan of some sort.

Without my degree to fall back on I would not feel comfortable with the loan (+ my student loan debt).

If you choose flying over Uni and can finance yourself through the training without incurring a big debt I would personally recommend it - but only if you know it is something you want to do from the bottom of your heart. Plus it would be wise to sit down and work out the potential total costs from PPL to fATPL (inc. the 100 hours that is required between PPL and CPL) and ask yourself how you will fund this.

You mentioned you genuinely want to go to university - Uni is amazing - ive had the time of my life. There is nothing stopping you from joining the University Air Squadron (UAS) and gaining some experience there. Yes - you won't be able to walk into the UAS - there will be interviews etc but if you're good enough to complete PPL to ATPL training you're easily easily good enough to join the UAS.

Whatever you choose good luck.

P.s. my biggest regret at uni was to not join the UAS