PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA B777 Incident @ Heathrow (merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2008, 06:35
cowpatz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a couple of observations as we arrived on 27R some 40 min or so after the 777 mishap on 27L.
There was convective activity in the area.
ATIS was giving either moderate or severe icing at FL090. I cant recall exactly which it was. Not sure if the 777 held prior to approach but engine icing may or may not be a factor.
There was a significant shear.
At 4000 ft on final approach the wind was bang on the snout at 50 kts with a surface wind at 220/8. I cant recall the 2000ft wind but at that point on the approach the tower advised that the surface wind was now 220/16 G32. That in itself is not significant but it did make for a rough ride and did require overiding the autothrottles with manual thrust application to maintain speed.

Without knowing any facts I would probably eliminate a low fuel state as this would have been acted upon sooner and ATC advised.

I have no idea what the spool up time on a large Trent eng is, but with the shear that was present at the time we arrived, it could have been easy to have ended up unspoole, and with a bit of negative shear thrown in the mix, it would explain the noise (attempting to spool up) and high nose attitude.

Engine icing may also be a possibility. Not sure if nacelle icing is auto or man on a 777 but if it was left off, and if the conditions around at the time of the 777 arrival were similar to those when we arrived, then it may be a factor. Not necessarily a total engine failure, but enough to affect either spool up time, or the amount of power available.

Just my .02 cents worth and only offered up for discussion and not in anyway an attempt to criticize the actions of the crew.