PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 18 years old, off to university this year and wants to be a airline pilot
Old 14th Jan 2008, 08:48
AlphaMale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no minimum age to sit your atpl, well there is LEGALLY, and that is 17.
I stand corrected. For some reason I read 21 somewhere? ... maybe it's to be issued with a full ATPL
(Says here too http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/profiles/profile495/ ... not that I'd take any notice of it)

Degree v No Degree debate is almost as bad as Modular v Integrated.

It's a personal choice, look around at how many people with fATPL are waiting for their first jobs, it wont take long to notice a few bitter people on here with no jobs after blowing £50k+ on training.

I have my safety net, a fairly well paid job, I am a much more mature person than I was at 18, My revision technique is better after 4 years at Uni and now I am hoping to do my training pretty much debt free.

If I had the chance to go through life again I'd have joined the Police Force after my A levels and done as much over-time as possible, done my PPL/Night/IMC studied for my ATPL's then taken 12 months off to concentrate on my flying career.

On the other hand I did enjoy Uni.