PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airshow related accidents
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2008, 11:52
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Another list of accidents where information is required by my friend in South Africa. Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Reaper 69

20 SEPTEMBER 1947: De Havilland Mosquito

Crashed at Rempstone, Nottinghamshire during BoB display at Wymeswold.
Detail required?

25 MAY 1965: AVRO VULCAN (RAF SCAMPTON, UK)

The wing of a Vulcan hit the ground after running out of fuel at a US Air Show whilst landing and then skidded into the Air Traffic Traffic Control. XM576.
Detail required. Can’t find confirmation that it actually occurred!

VICTOR CRASH????

Internet extract without any substantiation! True or False?
B(I)8 & Gainsey Ref the 543 Victor, 543 were being presented with their Colours, by, I believe, Princess Anne. Anyway they had a parade on the lazy, where also were lined up their Victors. The culmination of this was to be a rapid start and scramble of one of the said a/c. followed by a flypast. Sod's law came into play and the prime went **** up, the crew, minus I think the Nav Rad, who was to get some pics for the Captain, ran to the standby, started and taxied . He did a wonderful take off (min fuel) airborne well before the intersection and pulled into a tight r.h climbing turn, intending to line up on 27 for a max rate climb, but he was unable to pull onto the centreline due to speed & not letting out far enough so he called going around for another try. He came over us going like the proverbial bat out of hell, and in at least 50 to 60 deg bank, got to the far side of the airfield and the tailplane departed, the rest is history, apart from the fact that I got hauled in to do the first night's guard at the crash site. Incidently, The Daily Mirror was the only paper to get a photo of the take off and initial climbing turn, and it headlined it's next day's edition "Death of a Giant" with said pic on the front page

23 AUGUST 1969: SOUIX HELICOPTER (CHRISTCHURCH REGATTA,

XT509 Souix AH1 (ARWF) collided with XW191 during a display at Christchuch Regatta.
Detail as to cause and manoeuvre required.

?? SEPTEMBER 1975: HAWKER HARRIER (YEOVILTON, UK)

Yeovilton Navy Day Sep 1975 was marred by an unfortunate incident when the pilot of the Harrier was killed when the ejection seat fired while he was climbing out of the aircraft.
Can’t find any substantiation of this accident!

15 APRIL 1975: XT242 Sioux AH1.Blue Eagles.

AAC display team crashed in a field near Barton Stacey
Detail as to cause and manoeuvre required.

?? 1979: LOCKHEED F-104 STARFIGHTER (BINBROOK, UK).

One of the first early references to G-LOC was in 1979. On the break to land after completing his display, the pilot was killed pulling the aircraft it straight into the ground. G-LOC was assumed as the most probable cause.
Can’t find substantiation or date!

13 SEPTEMBER 1984: BELL 206 JET RANGER (LEDBURY, UK)

Detail required. Cause and manoeuvre.

28 SEPTEMBER 1985: MICROLITE (FORDINGBRIDGE, UK)

G-MMXX Microlite, cr during display at school Fordingbridge.
Detail required. Cause and manoeuvre.

19 MAY 1991: PROVOST T5 (ALDERMASTON, BERKSHIRE, UK)

Crashed during a low level turn while practising for an air display.
Detail required. Cause?