PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2008, 10:03
vs_lhr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huyin,

I'm not management (nor do I suspect Scooby is a union 'plant'), so don't have access to some of the information you are after (such as the exact details of aircraft acquisition), and even if I did, it would company sensitive info that I would not dream of publishing on an internet forum. Questions about A346 performance figures are only marginally relevant to the question of striking, and perhaps we have already strayed too far off the core questions anyway with the volume of posts about aircraft purchase and leasing. The original suggestion was that you buy one less aircraft then you have several million available to pay crew pay demands, and the rebuttal is that the aircraft generates the income so without it you don't have the money in the first place. All the other discussion around that is pretty much pointless.

As for the figures, I refer to this news story in the FT dated 14th August 2007, which states retained profit at £6.6m and operating profit at £3.5m. Based on a turnover of £2.2bn, that is a pathetic return on investment, although the reasons cited included "increased price of fuel, the impact of the security alerts at Heathrow and administration costs arising from the government's decision to double air passenger duty from February". Without the Virgin Nigeria loss, the operating profit would have been £32.6m, which is still a tiny return on investment - and you'd be much better off putting you money in a building society.

BTW, I really don't see this as VSLHR vs Scooby. I have a lot of respect for Scooby, and we both work toward a common goal - the best airline we can possibly be. This discussion is purely thrashing out the positive and negatives of the current industrial action. Neither of us have much direct control over it, other than our opinions.

Last edited by vs_lhr; 7th Jan 2008 at 10:44.