PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airshow related accidents
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2008, 21:26
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil Airshow related accidents

I hope thread readers my be able to offer information on the following accidents for a friend of mine in South Africa who is assembling a data base of airshow related accidents and analysing the possible causal factors.

AUG 81: DE HAVILLAND CHIPMUNK (ANCONA, ITALY)

25 MAY 1946: SUPERMARINE SEAFIRE, III (BEAULIEU, UK)

???? 1948: DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO (STAFFORDSHIRE, UK)
A Mosquito in Staffordshire crashed on a hospital during an aerobatic display.

???? 1948: DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO (KENT, UK)
On the same day as another Mosquito crashed onto a hospital in Staffordshire, this time in Kent, another ‘Mossie; crashed into the crowd during an aerobatic display, tragically killing twelve spectators.

???? 1949: WELLINGTON, (RAF MIDDLETON, ST GEORGE, UK)
The article "A Demonstration in Disaster" recalls a crash involving a Wellington navigational trainer at an airshow held at RAF Middleton, St George, now Teesside Airport)

11 JUNE 1950: SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE (HAMPSHIRE, UK)
PK322 Spitfire, 611 Squadron collided with PK523 during a display practice.

03 AUGUST 1951: DE HAVILLAND DH82A TIGER MOTH (HULLAVINGTON, UK)
Stalled while inverted during a flying display at Hullavington.

19 SEPTEMBER 1953: DH82A TIGER MOTH DE899 (BINBROOK, UK)
Sideslipped into the ground during an air display Binbrook.

???? 1953
A quirk of fate? Two Meteor F-8's from different air stations disintegrated during low runs at air displays, both on the same day.

11 JUNE 1955: DE HAVILLAND DH82C TIGER MOTH (GREENWOOD, CANADA)
Stalled during air show at Greenwood NS.

19??: In a co-ordinated synchro display at Farnborough between a Viggen and a SAAB105 in the mid 70s, the SAAB 105 did a wheels-up landing.

199?: Also at Farnborough In the mid-1990’s, an Su-27 ran off the end of the runway following an instruction to land by the Flying Control Committee because the practice display was apparently all over the place with several contraventions of the display arena. The aircraft touched down fast with more than two-thirds of the runway behind the aircraft! On questioning the pilot about the deep touch-down, he answered: “but you said land immediately – so that’s what I did!”

Any contributions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Reaper 69

Last edited by G-KEST; 4th Jan 2008 at 21:54.