PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutersloh, Mid 70s
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2008, 19:34
4mastacker

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would that ex-18 Sqn hangar be a great big tent thing? I remember one being located at the other end of the airfield not far from Battle Flight - I think it was called a 'Frankenstein Hangar'.

In the background of Tiger Mate's photo there appear to be a line of rail tankers. Where they are parked was, according to our civvy storeman who operated the BFI, a burial ground for Luftwaffe aircraft which were captured when the allies took control of the airfield. Our tame civvy had been an aircraft mechanic at Gutersloh during the war. His claim about the burial ground seemed to have some substance because when the REs started to excavate the ground to install a second rail spur and pipeline manifold, they started digging up quite a bit of what appeared to be aircraft panels, pipework and other metallic bits. On some of the panels, the part number stencilling and grey paint was still visible and our civvy storeman identified markings which showed they were made by Messerschmidt and Junkers. Unfortunately, all the metal that was dug up went to the scrap yard - aviation archeology didn't feature in our lives. I have often wondered what would have been revealed if the REs had dug a bit deeper as Werner claimed whole aircraft had been bulldozed into the burial site.