PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 15:24
vs_lhr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does go to show that obviously not as many people as they've been saying have been volunteering to fly, if they had, why are they panicking and calling the crew?
Who says they're panicking? Perhaps because some crew who previously said they would strike are now telling their managers they will work, this is a re-evaluation of what workforce is available. As trollytom said, there was no pressure to work; they're just ascertaining facts. Something, it would seem, the union has omitted doing.

The problem is that as much as the company say they will protect the identities of those who fly and will not stand for intimidation, bullying or whatever you want to call it, their names WILL get out eventually (some already have) and unless they are an FSM who is at the top of the ladder, they may well have a tough time on 'some' flights and downroute and this job can be very lonely if you end up being 'billy no mates'. I'm not saying that I would ever treat anyone any different, and there are MANY people who share my views, but, there are also many who don't and at the end of the day, we have to spend 2,3 and sometimes more days/nights away with people who we may not know until we arrive to check in. We also work in an evironment where everyone reports on everyone, FSM > CSS and CSS > Crew, need I say more?
Doesn't that cut both ways? As others have suggested, being a known striker could mean crap rostas, poor promotion, few swaps, and generally not such a happy working environment.

As the company have made it abundantly clear that there will be no further deal, logic tells me that those working on the strike day will be better off. Forget talk of "well, those that break the strike should be ashamed when the strikers achieve the pay rise we want", there is no pay rise. It ain't going to happen. The company have dug their heels in too far for any last minute negotiation.