PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - incident at EMA (midair over Leicestershire)
Old 16th Dec 2007, 20:58
Paultuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AAIB spokesperson said "The weather conditions were good." Maybe so for non VFR flying activities?

I was in the air at approx the same time as the incident this afternoon and can certainly say that there was a layer of haze from approx 1500 - 3000 feet which inhibited visibility somewhat greatly! We were operating around the shawbury zone which is approx 20nm from the area and must have experienced the same visibility as we had.

If the involved aircraft were climbing / decending through this layer of haze at the same position, then they most certainly would not have had much time to take appropriate action to maintain adequate separation should they even see each other? Also as they were reported not to be under any radar control they had little chance of this occurrence being avoided if indeed caught up in the haze layer and on a relative heading?

The TAF's and METAR's are a useful tool to use and must be carefully studdied if VFR flight like in todays conditions are to be attempted.

My thoughts are with all involved this evening. A sad day for aviation.

P.S I stand to be corrected on any errors i may have posted.