PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Route ?
Thread: Which Route ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2007, 10:52
4KBeta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Route ?

Right,

I realise this has been asked many many MANY times before but I seem to of come to a dead end.

I have been reading these forums for the last 4 months, many different threads to see people’s opinions and views on various subjects regarding flight training but I am still having problems deciding which way I would like to go.

Let me give you some background. I am 23, I have a good 2:1 degree in Computer Science and I have a steady graduate job in a very large and international company.

I have wanted to fly for as long as I remember (like most) but money has also been a worrying factor.

I have applied for various FTO's, some with the opportunities of mentorship or some sort of placement scheme , e.g. CTC , Netjets. Both I have been invited to the assessment days but as of yet I have not attended. I have also started a RAF application and it is up to me to push to the next step as well (obviously, have to be in training before my next birthday)

Following this I now have come to these conclusions:

Option 1) Push on with RAF, see how far I get. Obviously very stiff competition. Chances of being selected before I turn 24? More then likely low due to RAF's University Air Squadrons (which I never joined) - tied in for 12 years is it? life style etc etc

Option 2) Push on with CTC or another FTO, not just with mentorship. Take out the loan via HSBC (or whatever agreement is with) and complete my fatpl course.

Option 3) Continue working here and try and pursue a modular route. Obviously this saves a large amount of money but getting the money in the first place is a big factor.

Option 4) Continue working for this company for a year, then look at fATPL courses this time next year, after the recent industrial developments have eased.

Option 5) Forget the "dream" and continue working were I am now. Room for career advancement is good (as is the wage).

I would like to hear your opinions and views.

Many thanks

Last edited by 4KBeta; 13th Dec 2007 at 13:51.