PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 7th Dec 2007, 14:11
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grunf
It looked as an eye opener, for them. I guess maybe MFS will have more stories of that kind, if he follows this thread.

Please never fly with (suspected) icing on wings of CL models. NEVER!!
All I can do is echo that last statement, in spades. For any aircraft, in fact - look at the approach speed that your flight manual recommends for anti-ice system failure. On the CRJ it's VREF+30. Think about what would happen if you were 30 knots slow on takeoff - i.e. V2-30. That is what you are playing with if you neglect the clean wing philosophy.

De-icing when not needed is as bad as no de-icing when needed.
Nonsense, pure and simple. To continue the CRJ example, the effect of de-icing or anti-icing fluid on the scheduled speeds is precisely zero. On the dash 8s I believe it's a five knot adder. The aircraft is certified/approved for the use of the fluids - which means we know what it does and we've given procedures that work with it present. We also know what ice and snow CAn do - see the 30 knot adder mentioned above.

I would happily fly on a CRJ (or any other aircraft) that had applied "unnecessary" anti-ice fluid, even if I were a bit perplexed as to why they'd done so. I'd be walking towards the exit if I suspected the aircraft were about to try to takeoff with ice or snow on the wing. And no, I wouldn't care if the pilot thought it was "safe".