PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 7th Dec 2007, 10:43
bullshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the above post despique

Anti-icing fluid is very viscose - a couple of years age I was positioning on a BA 737 that I had watched being de-iced just before taxi-out. I had a window seat just behind the trailing edge and I watched very carefully - fluid was streaming off the wing in large quantities during the initial climbout - just as I expected. I was quite surprised though, to see fluid streams still departing the trailing edge after we had levelled off at TOC.

Last year I departed a Central European Airfield after being de-iced. After landing in the UK some 2hrs later there was still fluid dripping off the wings! I must say it surprised me.

Some years ago, I was undertaking the 'tech' part of an FAA type rating; after at least 2 hrs of continuous questions from the examiner, he asked me "what is the best way to de-ice the airplane?". I thought he was testing my knowledge of various fluid types and was uncertain what to answer - type 2 or 4 (but don't they use type 1 in the USA) etc. After a while he broke the silence with "Have the Airplane towed into a heated hangar". Obvious really and I felt rather silly.

BS