PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 6th Dec 2007, 16:43
A Passenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a reasonably well informed member of the SLF community and a frequent reader of PPRUNE this particular thread has prompted me to join in for the first time. (My first post and, sorry, it’s a long one)

Let me explain why:

I have been shocked by the complacent, reckless and unprofessional attitude displayed by some on this thread regarding ice/snow on the wing. And judging by some comments here it seems that these events and this attitude are not isolated to one or two of the aviation community.

There is simply no excuse for not de-icing under any circumstances.

I recommend reading or re-reading the NTSB Advisory that was posted earlier

ALERT TO PILOTS: WING UPPER SURFACE ICE ACCUMULATION
http://www.ntsb.gov/pressrel/2004/041229.htm

There have been far too many incidents where crew felt that they “could get away with it” and didn’t.

As such I must state my position being an “informed SLF” that when traveling during icy ground conditions I personally inspect the aircraft as best I can do as a passenger and if I see snow or ice on the wing and fail in getting/seeing appropriate action, de-icing, being taken I will remove myself from the aircraft (even if it has left the gate I will insist) with all the disruption that causes. Plus I will make an official complaint/report on the incident.

I very much sympathise with flight crews regarding the commercial pressures imposed by airline/airport management but as is well known these problems are not just of commercial pressures (though they are significant) – crew psychology plays its part. ( the disastrous incident at Washington is a sobering example of this)

An ego that thinks it can get past the laws of physics is a dangerous colleague and very much the cowboy. Though tarring an entire organisation with the same brush when psychological issues and stupidity know no borders is not very constructive unless you focus such criticism on all organisations that allow such incidents to happen.

If you see any incident like this you must report it bearing in mind that the crew might be unaware of the problem(and might be a thankful fair-weather pilot) and the hundred or so passengers, who might soon end up dead, almost certainly totally unaware.

As was said earlier “It’s better to be twenty minutes late than twenty years too early”.

So de-ice your aircraft.

Regards
A Passenger