PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blocked Eustachian Tube
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 22:25
WG774

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I saw the GP today. In my totally non-clinical opinion, I reckon he's a good GP.

He reckons there's no problem being on Loretadine long term, so I really should try it for longer than a month this time (he explained why Loretadine is different to other anti-allergy medicines, and it makes sense that it's safe long-term).

He confirmed that smoking *can* mask allergies in theory... Well, I never...

He also reckons it's safe to use nasal inhalers long-term as well. He explained that the steroids are flushed through the body, unlike other steroids (please excuse my vagueness there).

From scanning the forum here, it does appear that it can take a long time to clear a blocked ET. So, current plan is to take Loretadine and Nasal spray for at least 4 months and re-evaluate the situation.

The GP reckoned that blood results for allergies are notoriously vague and suggested to me that, if they were accurate, why is it that many people spend months / years finding out their specific allergy via process of elimination?

Quitting the cigs is for the best long term, but it appears to have made my tube issue worse!

I also intend to drink black coffee now and only use a dash of milk for morning cereal. The words 'straws' and 'clutching' spring to mind... Having said that, this discussion has been of definite assistance - thanks again!

BTW - the most useful treatment I know of is to go for a hard cross-country run -it's temporary, but seems to make a difference, although it could be placebo as a run generates endorphins.