PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 21:28
Glamgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, we can't operate LHR flights because Bassa at LHR put the nail in the coffin when pretending to do our Memorandum of Agreement. Therefore we can't operate longer duty days than 12.5 hours (planned). Thanks for that one, bassa!

I've found that most of the crew who've left over the last year have been ex-temps from LHR, and a lot of them felt hard done by because they had to come to LGW. As far as I'm concerned, I had no sympathy with these people, as they knew it was a temporary contract and IF they were offered permanent that it would be LGW. If I got a job with a temporary contract I would certainly save up as much money as I could, just in case. Also, I wouldn't go out and buy a new car, flat, designer clothes etc.

Rightly, some of the people here have stated the reasons for crew shortage. The main issue at the moment is the 900 hrs rule, which (as we pointed out to the company last year) is due to only 2 days off after a long haul flight and long double duty days.

I do find though, that even though our life at LGW isn't perfect by any means - far from it- it is better than a lot of jobs out there in the "real" world. I don't agree with the vast difference in t&c's and pay between the two LON airports, but apart from joining a union and telling them what you want changed when the MOA is re-written (scheduled v soon) nothing will change. You may not get your wish granted, but unless the unions know what people want changed, then they can't fight for us.

I know a lot of crew are either knackered or working 2 jobs. May I also add that a lot of crew go shopping on every trip they do state side, but claim to have no money for food? Don't get me wrong, I know we don't earn very much compared to a lot of airlines/other jobs, but it is still possible to live a life, one just have to budget for it, so no living champagne lifestyle with lemonade money.

I still love my job (most of the time), but some crew can really make the job difficult. Lack of work ethic, sour faces, a can't-be-bothered attitude and general lack of maturity makes for difficult trips. I want to be able to do the job and do it well, to keep our pax coming back. I want to have fun whilst working and I love smiling and laughing (who doesn't?). It's incredibly frustrating the amount of feedback I've had to give to crew due to their attitude. Hopefully this will all change soon, and I look forward to the new recruits coming on line.

If you have a course scheduled for LGW, we will welcome you with open arms. You will have fun, meet some great people and work hard. We do play hard too, if that's your thing. Just don't buy that penthouse in Chelsea or the Porche just yet. If you have previous flying experience there is great opportunity for promotion fairly quickly (just make sure you're ready for it).

Sorry for the rant, I just had to get it off my chest.

Wishing everyone a merry xmas, a happy new year and may all your dreams come true.

Gg