PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 4th Dec 2007, 18:38
old,not bold

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
if we are to avoid fellow pilots being pressured by management in to taking off with the wings/fuselage as described.
Speaking from the management side of the fence, for the last 25 years at least, I have great difficulty with the notion that anyone in management can conceivably, by way of stating a general policy or giving an instruction in a specific instance, pressure a pilot to do something wrong and life-threatening, and thereby risk his/her own life, the crew's lives and the passengers' lives in circumstances when without that pressure the pilot would do as he thought right.

EG, depart without de-icing if that were dangerous.

It is impossible that any real pressure/instruction/policy would not be documented. And if it is documented, any pilot I know would know exactly what to do about it.

I am very aware of the response I would have got if I had sought to "pressure" a pilot working for me in any way to do something the pilot knew he/she should not do, eg refuse de-icing when it should be done.

So I wonder how often "pressure from management" is used as an explanation, exoneration even, when the true story is something else.

I also wonder if commercial airline pilots ever really put their lives at risk knowingly, with or without management pressure to do that. I doubt it, and I don't really believe stories that say they do. But the real concern is in that word "knowingly", as training standards and experience requirements fall to the bean-counters' axes.