PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 17:48
LightTwin Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We dont know what deicing had occured and the subsequent holdover times that resulted, but we have to assume the Iberia crew made a decision based on their experience and knowledge and in accordance with their sops. Why then if that decision differs to ours are they cowboys?
Yes we do-NONE!!!!!

Nobody had deiced because there was no snow falling all day.It was forecast from about 3 pm local time.

It started falling at about 6 and within half an hour the viz was down to a mile and the runways were contaminated.

I can assure you that Iberia did not carry out any deiceing whatsoever-when I did our external check I would have noticed any fluid on the ground,as our wing tips were very close.

I have been a professional pilot over 20 years.

I don't know of any airline of any size that permits you to take off with snow on upper wing surfaces-tell me if you know different.

The fact that we politely told ATC/Iberia that they were covered in snow and they then waved at us as they pushed says it all-they would have seen us beginning deicing just as they pushed.

I would have hoped that they would have seen how much we had picked up on all surfaces and possibly deduced that they had a similar amount,having arrived just before us-but no,just a sarcastic wave from all 3 crew members.

I 'd make the same judgement every time-I just hope that it's not frivolously ignored next time.