PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Astana
Thread: Air Astana
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2007, 06:21
Rubis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Astana

Large number of expats, but just like India, Saudi, and others. You're the Black Sheep and your F/O's conveniently forget how to speak english when they don't want to talk with you.

Op's in Almaty is better than in Astana where you are basically on your own. KZ F-50 capt's upgrade to A320 F/O's and forget they are no longer a Capt. You have to deal with them using the sword or they walk on you. Can't trust them for one minute. They games they paly.

Company is in somewhat disarray, Wanting to be World Air Line and will be someday, but lots of missing areas in operation. Getting better though.

Cops in Astana stop you and hassel you for "under the table" money. Have had my papers taken from me and had to pay to get them back. No protection for expat. Hotel is nice, but every now and then you come in from trip and find your belongings moved to another room or stuffed in a bag in storage. Everything is very high priced unless you head out on the street, then you have to look for cops. Don't take taxi unless it is prearranged or you speak local lingo. Never travel outside alone or you are meat for the cops. Almaty is different. Many expats in Astana, but all agree you are not wanted here by locals.

It's been good experience, but I look forward to the day I leave. Be real careful about you you choose for a recruiter, because they are the one's that enforce your contract. If you can't trust them to come through, you are basically on your own here with little protection.

Boeing Pilots have it better than Airbus.

Think very hard about this one.