PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army Officer PVR Questions
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2001, 10:08
EmpireOne

Wink

CR,

My e-mail address is [email protected]
I would love to hear from you, particularly as you have 'snippets'. I do have a more personal e-mail address which I will give you, but can't on this forum for obvious reasons.

PP,

Many thanks for an informative and considered response. I am very grateful. Between yourself and ChristopherRobin, the info you chaps have given me is very useful. I realise and always knew to a certain extent that the consequences of an early PVR would adversely affect my pension, leave and resettlement rights. Hence, I am not rushing into making this decision and am in the fortuitous position of having a bit of time to investigate all courses of action.

I do have a clear idea of what I want to do in terms of a civilian job, (BA/Virgin do not figure in the equation)and I am acutely aware that the grass is not necessarily greener. I still very much enjoy being in the Army and I will be rather sad to leave should I decide to go. It would be hard to argue that I could have had a better lifestyle other than the one I've had so far in the arms of the AAC. On the other hand, there a lot of good jobs out there in the civilian aviation industry at the moment and my last job has given me some useful tools to qualify for those jobs.

Ultimately, I want remain in flying and abhor the fact I will spend the next five years behind a desk. I feel that everything I have achieved in the last five years will be lost in the next and make it even harder to qualify for those jobs available at the moment in civvy street. As I've said, I would be happy (not sure if that's the right word) to do JCSC. However I do view it as the beginning of the end of my flying career as this is a factor I find hard to remove from my mind. As you must know, it's hard to achieve good results from someone who is unhappy in his/her employment.

Anyway, whatever happens, the decision will not have come without a lot of consideration. I am a little concerned that in all the effort to come to that decision I will be burn a lot of bridges. Some would say that is inevitable but I am trying to avoid it if possible. Oggin Aviator has suggested a change of uniform and although I have considered it, at the moment I find the prospect of giving up the traditions of the army for the RAF somewhat unpalatable (if not, a little too treacherous). Call me a stick in the mud, but I think the army brethren understand where I'm coming from. BTW, that's not meant to be offensive to the other services. Try and imagine how you might feel about transferring to the AAC. (HaHa, perhaps not then!). The overiding reason for leaving the army is that my desire to be a proffessional aviator is greater than the desire to be in the forces; not that I want to leave the army on the basis that the grass is greener else where.

PP, I will get in touch about licensing and other stuff. I currently hold a CPL(H) but not an JAR one. I've got a couple of questions which might be easier discussed on the dog and bone, so I'll give you a ring if you send me your number.

EO