PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three killed in NT highway plane crash
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2007, 05:34
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bushy, get off the grass! To make power lines more visuable the only way I know of is to put coloured balls on them and do you have any idea how much that would cost? Even at $10 ea there are millions of km's of wires in this country. Not to mention the wind loading of the cables and insulation degrading they would cause for major trunk main at 100,000 odd volts especially when wet.
It is one thing to put a few up around airports quite another to try and put them everywhere.
I am only guessing here but going on what I have read elsewhere I believe it is fairly normal even encouraged in europe to head for a road ( not freeway) if you should have an engine failure. Having been there I must say power lines over there tend not to follow country roads so much but rather cut across paddocks, country roads tend to be quiet traffic wise, sealed unlike ours, and there paddocks are smaller than here and often surrounded by stone walls/fences.( not the best landing places).
Over here it is the opposite and few if any instructors would tell there students to head towards a road.
This I am guessing is where they unfortunately came undone.