PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The High and the Mighty
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2007, 10:24
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have to concurr with the admiration for Gann's writings. I only have 'Fate is the Hunter' but that book is mighty good reading. Sorry to hear CapZZ that you have changed your mind. Maybe you are forgetting some of the roots to our now very safe and sophisticated industry? Most of our laws were written in blood and Gann knew a lot of people that paid the ultimate price to make the industry better for all of us.

I don't know why he wrote novels as well, he has enough true stories to captivate better than any novel! He is a great writer although some may find his vocabulary and style somewhat old fashioned but that also makes it authentic in my view.

Thanks for the hints on some other good movies - I'll put them on my list of titles to look up next time I'm in the land of milk and honey...!

I do actually have Memphis Belle and Battle of Britain - prefer the latter personally. As for 'The Right Stuff' - yes, one of my all time favourites. Some may not have noticed but the old guy in Pancho's bar is actually Chuck Yeager himself. That is another good book too - 'Yeager' the autobiography. Yet another book to make one marvel at the golden years...(Sigh)! Compadre Bob Hoover's book 'Forever Flying' is also on my bookshelf and is equally captivating.