PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things I always wanted to know as a PILOT
Old 13th Nov 2007, 10:30
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Like the earlier comment, I want decent leg room (I wear leg 37ins trousers) - and will pay for it BUT without all the other cr*p.
I think that illustrates the point very well. Naturally, every pax want more space for as little cash as possible (irrespective of who pays) but by linking space to 'luxury' it allows the carrier to separate the space and the cost. If they just charged a bit more, then more would take it but that would lower the overall number of seats and revenue.

For enough years, they have been able to get people to pay the Y fares and put up with it, so they have no incentive to change. AA tried to change this a few years ago (about 5 or 6, I think). As I recall, they made a huge advertising push about giving more leg room in Y, including long haul, of about 2 inches or possibly more. The adverts showed rows of seats being physically taken out. A couple of years later, I read (in PPRuNe) that they were quietly putting the rows back in because it had not generated enough extra bookings. QED.

I like the 10 questions, some of which might be tongue in cheek?
  1. Not locking loo door: I didn't know they did this.
  2. Not watching saftey demo: I have always been mysitifed by the way they ignore it. Even though I know it, I always watch. The idea that some folks are avoiding thinking about a crash seems likely.
  3. As per longer answer above: Price wins but complaining has become a SOP for pax.
  4. Dangerous carriers: My guess is that 99% of pax do not know where to find safety statistics and airlines don't use this in their advertising. The CAA do not publicise this. Also, Price Wins.
  5. Rush to disembark: Herding instinct.
  6. Looks as if the flush button has to have a flashing neon ring around it.
  7. Messing up the loo: Standards of public behaviour have been dropping for decades.
  8. Pilots love turbulence: They certainly do!
  9. Smooth touchdown: They do not know any better.
  10. Late boarding: Again, I think we may see examples of fear and those who do not want to get on the machine, even though they want to get to their destination.