PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: AsA ATC staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2007, 03:20
bluerider777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread disappearance!

ITCZ,

The thread seems to have been pulled/deleted from the ATC issues area. We are inquiring as to why...

I guess from my perspective I equate it somewhat (no offence intended) to a long haul flight (being a 7 or 8 hour shift) where one pilot is encouraged to rest during quiet cruise times. This somewhat equates to having 2 controllers rated in a position rostered on to provide qualified relief at all times during the night shift. At the moment this allows for some napping and much more alert controllers at the console.

AsA are introducing a roster whereby only one rated controller will be rostered for a sector. They intend to provide breaks to that controller using atc not rated on that sector (or even not qualified to do Enroute in some cases).

This raises many issues which are in the process of being raised with CASA but on a pilot level I would be interested in the effects. For example the controller monitoring your flight may have no (and I mean absolutely no) idea of safe airfields in the event of an emergency. This is just one example.

Let us know your thoughts on this,

Blue
ps. Will the companies seek a refund of avcharges???