PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SriLankan/BA bent metal at LHR?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2007, 08:27
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Froglet
I wonder... If the CVR of the BA pilots will ever get into the (semi) public domain?
I very much doubt it. However, I can tell you what may have been said, having experienced the incredulity of being marshalled into a docking pier in a previous life.

Aircraft moving forward very slowly... suddenly there is a bit of a 'thump' and a 'shudder' and a/c rocks gently, as though brakes had been applied suddenly

Captain: "What the f*#@*#@*?
Me: "Did you just jump on the brakes?"
Captain" "No"
Me: "Me neither"
Captain (looking to the left wingtip, now embedded in the pier): "Oh, for f#*@**# sake!"
Me: "You'd better look at this... the marshaller is still telling us to move forwards!"

The rest is mostly just more expletives interspread with things about the marshaller, the paperwork and disruption this is going to cause.

This incident between the B747 and the A340 which, whilst expensive and containing an element of risk due to any possible structural damage, was the equivalent of a minor scrape between cars queuing up at the traffic lights. The level of hysteria, at least in the initial mis-reporting, is so out of proportion with the scale of the incident that it would appear the editors in charge at the time had no option but to have the story hammed up to protect their delicate egos for sensationalising it in the first place!

Someone had better let the Sky/BBC/ITN/CNN newsdesks know about a fender bender between a container juggernaut and a Morris Minor that just happened on the junction of the B1123 and the A14.