PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia - Wannabes & Recruitment
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 09:32
DJ_Fly_Boi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skygirls? Skymen?

What the?

Please get into the new century! - I am a Flight Attendant and I am a part of the Cabin Crew. I, personally, take offence to being called a "Skyman" or as "somebody who brings my drinks".

Flight Attendants of this modern generation are safety and service professionals - we are not employed because anybody 'thinks we are nice to look at'. We are employed based on a number of different behavioural competencies - Safety Orientation, Customer Service Orientation, Integrity and Team Working - just to name a few.

We are not 'Barbie Dolls' and 'Pretty Boys' - we are trained to; evacuate aircraft in the unlikely event of an emergency, to fight fires, perform CPR, deal with the death of passengers whilst in the air, to care for women that suffer miscarriages, to deal with people that faint, throw up and have numerous other medical conditions in the air - heart attacks, strokes etc. - there are many crew online with my airline - including myself that have dealt with many of the situations Ive mentioned.

No airline in Australia would employ crew merely for what they look like and they all employ crew from various cultural backgrounds and we come in all different sizes!

Yes, I will admit - grooming pays a part in our general presentation - but the uniform and grooming is a way of uniting your crew and making us proud to do the job that we do.

But to even suggest - that we are only employed on looks is an insult.