PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the ability for low-cost airlines to maintain satisfactory safety standards
Old 20th Sep 2007, 04:46
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
404Titan

I do not agree with you entirely and even the evidence of your own post above agrees with my point.............

ABS Facts

• ABS is designed to help the driver maintain control of the vehicle during emergency braking situations, not make the car stop more quickly. ABS generally shorten stopping distances on wet or slippery roads and many systems will shorten stopping distances on dry roads. On very soft surfaces, such as loose gravel or unpacked snow, an ABS system may actually lengthen stopping distances. In wet or slippery conditions, you should still make sure you drive carefully, always keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you, and maintain a speed consistent with the road conditions.
So I think you may now see my point. I have experience racing cars, with and without. I have also done some experiments on the beach, and PROVEN beyond doubt a very significant difference when stopping quickly on sand. To the point my new LC100 will get ABS disconnected every time I go on the beach in future.

J

NOTE: Anti skid like on your B777 etc is different application, and especially on wet runways.