PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD80 plane crash in Phuket, Sep. 07
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2007, 09:33
Ghostflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let me say that again...14 years airline experience only
There is experience and getting older as the world passes you by! I'll leave the individual alone as I have no firsthand knowledge of him. I do know that '14 Years experience' can be as much use as a chocolate fire guard. Example: The average Scandanavian Pilot sees more weather in a week than a domestic Aussie Pilot sees in his career. So if there can be such a disparity in 'real' experience how do airlines get around it? They train and examine to a standard.

Performance = Ability + Training + Exposure.

The performance is affected by external pressures, national and coorporate cultures etc etc. Sadly a great number of cultures do not train to a standard that allows the crews to deal with anything out of the ordinary. Some guys, from all over the world, will not stand up and be counted when things go awry. Most of the time they get away with it but sometimes...

Amos, would you prefer to be driven to work in fog by a below average taxi driver that had never seen fog before but had been driving for 14 years or by the world's safest 1 year experience driving champion after he had just completed a 6 week 'fog driving' course. One has experience, the other has skill and exposure. Go and look up 'experience' in the dictionary, you won't find capability anywhere in the description.

Oh and to answer your question as to what caused the accident. I'd bet my mortgage on a commander that took an unsafe decision to try and land in awful weather and then didn't have the skill to get away with it. Seems like your 'experienced' guy was briefly the 'old and bold' pilot' of legend!