PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD80 plane crash in Phuket, Sep. 07
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2007, 10:45
shiftpattern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very telling letter.........

"Hi xxxx
Can you paste the following letter to the xxxx board site. I sent a copy to xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx, but have not seen a reply. Hope things are well with you.

Yeah, I thought the events of this crash is something I would share. In my world it is absolutely heartbreaking. Those who remember, when xxxx xxxxxx and I first came here, we understood immediately this event would occur. That it took two years is amazing in itself.

Of course a company culture combined with crewmembers willing to disregard safety standards made this crash predictable. One Two Go disregards all Duty and Flight Time Limitations, required maintenance inspections and weather mins. Again none of this can happen unless pilots are culpable and the controlling authority looks the other way.

Am always asked why am I still here? There is no morally good answer. In a self serving way, I felt I found my purpose in the summer of 2006. The company began to hire ab initio Thai pilots. Their training was lacking. I believed I could allow them to have experiences they would not receive with anyone else, show them how to look at situations (approaches, weather, fuel savings techniques) and think differently. Most importantly how to save their lives from the incredibly inept Captains working for One Two Go. As you learn the rest of the story, I failed. Am not sure I will ever forgive myself.

To start with, the Captain, an Indonesian was the Chief Pilot. He had failed his medical early this year and was grounded for two months. It became established that he would fall asleep while at the controls. Specially in the afternoon. The crash occurred around 3:40 pm. It was documented that he became spatially disorientated with the Prime Minister of Afghanistan on board the aircraft on an approach into Kabul. He was removed from all subsequent flights. On two other occasions, First Officers shared stories that they had to take control of the aircraft. (Heresay).

It will be established that fatigue was clearly a factor in this crash. Both Captain and First Officer exceeded flight time limitations the previous two days of the crash. They had flown 19+ hours in a 48 hour period while on duty for 30+ hours in the same period. The sequence was in part, International, with the final sector domestic. After completing the assignment, they were give16 hours off and then assigned 6 sectors (legs) on the day of the crash and were assigned 6 sectors the day following the crash. The crash occurred on their 3rd sector. The First Officer was working his 8th consecutive day.

The First Officer was a Thai ab initio pilot. His name was Montri. A wonderful person, highly respected, well educated. He was an only son. He had worked as an engineer with Japan Airlines. He had interviewed and was given a class date with Thai Airlines this October. I had spent many hours with him, and his flying skills was above average for his experience level. The company was abusing him in that after sitting for months, he was called out to do his bounces and he failed. As a result, the company withdrew 500 dollars a month from his pay for his re-training. On the ground, Montri protected me on at least one occasion. Another story for another day. Yeah, I still find trouble on the ground. Thinkin its that Southern California could care less laid back attitude.

From here on anything written is pure speculation. I have learned from my own experiences that things are not always as they seem. It appears Montri recognized they were in a bad situation and attempted to go around. A lady friend of mine was in the tower at the time and said xxxxxx, xxxxxx (yes, we all know her) tried to go around but the plane would not fly.... Windshear, compressor stall (witnesses claim to have heard a loud bang) or just plain fatigue and lack of experience with an inept Captain. Who knows. Pictures show flaps 15, spoilers and thrust reverser on the left side stowed. It appears they slammed onto the runway and slid off only traveling 60 meters. Som, the ATC lady said they hit around the 2,000 foot marker.

As I am writing this, I have been told that 2 cabin crewmembers have survived. xxxx, was the lead and am being told she is out of surgery. She always flirts with me and makes the old man smile. Yesterday and last night was very very tough. Cabin crewmembers begging to bring them home alive. It is the most helpless feeling I ever had. Much crying, pain and anguish. It is unbearable at times. I am both angry and sad. But time to put those feelings behind.

What happens now? Who knows, I am very tired, Have been exhausted for a long time and .... according to all here I get preferential treatment. Yeah, apparently I am the only one here who gets two consecutive days off every week. I can say that I do not fly illegally and do not knowingly fly unsafe equipment. I told them upfront, I do not and will not fly in the manner they are accustomed to. I also told them I will work hard and they will see things accomplished that perhaps they have never seen before. For two years, they have honored their part and for me, I will let my record speak for itself.

Sorry for being long. Thinkin this is my release. Much pain right now. Those people did not have to die. My friend Montri is gone. But there is joy in learning xxxxxx is alive. No one should have to experience this.

xxxxxxx, I can not feel the pain you losing your wife, but I can imagine a little more now how hard it must have been. I hope in some small way, the burden is lifting."