PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD80 plane crash in Phuket, Sep. 07
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2007, 18:38
Max Stryker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for someone commenting on the MD-80 not being the easiest to land, I wouldn't agree, however there are two points to make here. The plane is tricky in only two situations: when it is empty and light (which was obviously not the case here), when it tends to overreact to any control inputs, and secondly, with a far-aft trim situation, when it will require a lot of flare to come down gently. In such a situation, it is also possible that the A/P trim will not be able to keep up with the sudden change in attitude and power in the initial stages of the go-around, and might disconnect, which might, hypothetically lead to a situation where they might have still been in auto g/a mode, the autopilot disconnected, and the pilot didn't manage to hold it against the weather. However, this is, in my opinion, unlikely.

Again, just my personal MD experience, and 2 cents.

Additionally, as far as flying goes, the MD-82/83 is a great plane to fly. Basically handles like an overgrown Cessna, and 30kt+ crosswind gusts are regular thing from the base we operate from here.

Sad day, anyhow.