PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2007, 14:13
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsieker, EMIT,Dani

There has been quite some discussion that the changed MEL procedures (points 5 and 6) might have added to the confusion, although the reason for the changes in the procedures were unknown.
I know for a fact that there have been many occurences of both reversers selection in cases of a MELed T/R, and there have been inquiries from the airlines to AI about a change in the procedure.
So it is an airline originated change. Will try and confirm it.
I don't know how fast the CFM's react.
I don't know whether with the CFM's idle is also increased already on pulling the thrust lever into the reverse range (even if reverser itself is deactivated).
The CFM 56s of the latter series is faster than the -A series. If, as I suspect Dani flies the old 'Bus -A series equipped 100s - along with the newer IAE engine-equipped fleet and doesn't see a difference, the IAE engine is indeed slower to accelerate. (btw, the Habsheim 320 had the A1 engines ).
The requirement for stabilising the engines at 50% N1 /1.05 EPR is for getting all the flow control ancillaries at a stable state (the VBVs come to mind).
The slight increase of N1 /EPR reverser idle is quite general on the 'Bus fleet and as it has never bothered me, I would suspect it wasn't anything new to me from my previous types. Need to see that , too !
I know what you mean with slow spooling up. This is in fact the case on capturing an altitude or a speed. I doubt that it is the case in go-around or any other critical flight phases.
The slow spool-up in cruise /speed has to do with the AI speed stability algorythm which prioritises fuel consumption / pax comfort over instantaneous speed-keeping accuracy. B has another philosophy.

EMIT's theory has some merit, but I think it could be applied somewhere else : a confusion about inop T/R and inop engine.
If I may present it this way, I would take an analogy I've seen / experienced countless of times in the sim :
Any crew would successfully perform a single engine go-around without any major problems.
Now, if some time during the approach the SFI / TRE tells the crew that they won't land but they would have to overshoot, the go-around performance would drastically drop : forgotten items, call outs, under-par rotation...etc...
Could that phenomenon of confusion on an over-rehearsed procedure have applied to this accident ?

From EMIT :
is there a way to paste text into a post? Sometimes it is easier to write while you are offline, but so far I have been unable to transfer such text into a post. This limits my opportunity to post useful (longer) replies for lack of time at the appropriate moment.
My method is to type my text in WORD, then copy/paste. Works fine for me.

Cheers !