PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2007, 10:19
EMIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Answer to BSIEKER's question.

Spool up of jet engines.

Yes, all engines spool up somewhat slowly.
On every take-off, we initially set the thrust levers to about 1.05 EPR. When the engines actually produce that thrust, we advance the thrust levers to take-off thrust. This procedure is there to prevent uneven engine acceleration (meaning, left and right not accelerating at the same time), which would cause directional control problems.
In terms of RPM, idle on the ground is roughly 25% N-1, 1.05 EPR is roughly 50% N-1.
The comparison that I can make is with the B-767 mounted P&W 4060: more than twice the thrust output, so roughly more than twice the spinning mass, yet half the spool up time from idle to 1.05 EPR.

I don't know how fast the CFM's react.
I don't know whether with the CFM's idle is also increased already on pulling the thrust lever into the reverse range (even if reverser itself is deactivated).

I do know that following the Lauda crash in 1991, we (767 fleet worldwide) have flown around one or two years with both thrust reversers deactivated. Explicit operating advice was to keep pulling the reverse thrust levers to the interlock stop on each landing, to stay in the habit. Compare this with the specific Airbus instruction to *not* pull thrust levers into reverse range when both reversers are deactivated.

Now for something completely different, is there a way to paste text into a post? Sometimes it is easier to write while you are offline, but so far I have been unable to transfer such text into a post. This limits my opportunity to post useful (longer) replies for lack of time at the appropriate moment.