PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air-Car, Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 23:43
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
The one thing that always brings down the Moller concept (sorry for the bad pun) is all of those little two-stroke engines beating their hearts out simultaneously. ...And all the dead dinosaurs that have to feed them. ...And the problem of one (or more) of them quitting at exactly the wrong time. Nope, it doesn't work very well with conventional powerplants driving the fans.

But what if...?

What if there were some alternate source of power for the fans? I didn't dream this up (although I like to dream) but I've seen the idea of small direct-drive power sources that could be mounted right on the wheel of a car - at all four corners, say - freeing up the area that *used* to be occupied by the engine, fuel tank, etc. Such "power sources" would have to be of some so-far-unknown design and material. But who says it can't or won't happen?

We shouldn't get so pompous as to think that everything that's already been invented is all that's ever going to be invented. Or that future inventions will always be offsprings and outgrowths of existing technology. There will be some energy breakthrough that renders the infernal internal combustion engine obsolete and facilitates machines like the Moller SkyCar...some day...hopefully in our lifetimes although perhaps not, which would be a big shame and disappointment for me. Remember, it was Leonardo da Vinci that dreamt of the helicopter. And he never saw it invented either. Let's just hope that there are still big dreamers out there.