PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - Wannabees & Recruitment II
Old 29th Aug 2007, 23:38
Floaty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gosh you guys are sweatting...

I work in Eurofleet at LHR. I was offered transfers to LHR Worldwide twice in the last 3 years. A secondment to the old LGW WW at first, with the option to transfer back to LHR WW, then the formal transfer to LHR WW about a year ago. People move, promotions happen.

The problem in BA is manpower. These guys can't ever get it right. I was offered to apply for unpaid leave about a month ago. I had the option to ask between 3 and 12 months, starting from October. I applied for 3 as I have a mortgage. Now, 2 people work job-share in that office where the decision is being made: one says I have been unsuccessful and those who applied for the full year got it by seniority, whilst the other person said nobody got unpaid leave yet and no decision has been made. The other joke happened last year when LGW WW crew were to be transfered to LHR. Junior EF LHR crew were told there would be no chance to transfer to longhaul at least for a couple of years... well well... two months later they were ringing people at home on their days off to offer them an immediate course. Finally, when short of crew, they 'manipulate' training courses as they are pleased. You join to be told you'll be working for Eurofleet, you train on the 320 and the next day someone comes into the classroom to tell you they are short on the 777 and there you go!

I could go on and on and on.... don't get me wrong, BA is still a very decent employer compared to the junk out there, yet they are, as a recruiter mentioned earlier, a BUSINESS... and we are numbers...

Alas personal situations are NOT considered. THey will give you what they've got when they've got it. Suits you? Ok you're in. Doesn't? Ok then. Bye or wait.

I read your posts and I see myself years back. Unfortunately, without wanting to discourage anybody, the reality is a bit harsher than one thinks. Yes we have lovely uniforms and we go places, but that's about it. We spend a lot of time apologising for the crap service we are left to give, after all the cost cutting that has taken place. We see our profits going to top management and our employees bonus scheme based on punctuality, which is impossible to achieve. The sense of pride is gone down the drain. I wish you guys could read our company forum and our Union magazine. MOrale is low and Willie Walsh ain't the answer I'm afraid. This job is NOT what it used to be anymore. Pay and conditions are becoming worse by the day. People who joined before 1997 are paid twice as much as those who joined after and this is 'acceptable'. New policies like EG300 have created resentment as we are managed by people who do not fly other than as passengers on staff/duty travel and assume that your sickness levels should be the same as someone working in an office. This is outrageous.

I could go on an on but I can see already what the next post is gona be like: 'If you're not happy, just leave...' Aaaaahhhh....

So... my 2 cents now... If you've got a decent job or a decent income, or you have to make a decision about studying further, please please please don't hold your breath waiting for your fantastic career as cabin crew. The problem is not how to get in, but how to get out and move on!

And finally, if despite all this you are still considering joining, then may I suggest you opt for EF LHR. I have NEVER come across anybody who said they are glad they went to LGW! (Sorry guys in LGW)
Our colleagues in LGW have nicknamed Heathrow the 'golden runway', based on the fact that LHR crew allowances are MUCH MUCH higher than LGW. Yes it may take you 2 years to transfer to longhaul, but the difference in money is likely to be 40%.