PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2007, 05:41
chc&proud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The neverending story?

This thread have given me a feeling of insight into the Nigerian helicopter operations which I would have been hard pressed to obtain through other sources.

In some ways Nigeria seems to be an exotic and interesting country in which to be stationed. The challenges relating to political instability, security, safety, creature comfort and a seeming lack of TLC from the respective corporate management structures in the end makes Nigeria a bad deal all round.

A tax free income sounds great in some ways, but;
* the gross income earnings potential is 40-60% of the North Sea/Norway?
* insurance and pension coverage is 20-40% of the North Sea/Norway?
* commuting schedules are based on no extended minimum rest following long and uncomfortable travel with no proper rest facilities available enroute, i.e. cattle class.

You are left with nothing but feeling attached to Nigeria based on for example having found love and family in the country, or a spirit of adventure, or jungle fever....or lack of choice for whatever reason.

Quite a few pilots working for Bristow and the CHC owned companies in Europe might have been interested to visit and work in Nigeria if terms and conditions were right. Perhaps even an exchange program could have been established, whereby pilots would work part of the time in Nigeria and part of the time in the North Sea?

We will probably neve know, since no lines of communications are available to research the potential for such an insane concept. Oh well, itīs always possible to dream.

Stay safe.

Regards, Olav